J.C. Ryle

"When a man’s heart is cold and unconcerned about religion – when his hands are never employed in doing God’s work – when his feet are not familiar with God’s ways – when his tongue is seldom or never used in prayer and praise – when his eyes are blind to the beauty of the kingdom of heaven – when his mind is full of the world, and has no room for spiritual things – when these marks are to be found in a man the word of the Bible is the right word to use about him, and that word is, ‘Dead.’”

Monday, March 3, 2008

Tale of Two Doctors


I went to the chiropractor recently to find relief for aching shoulder, back and persistent allergies.

While the doctor was preparing the paperwork he asked me what I liked to do when I wasn't in pain.

I laughed and said well I like to tell people about the Lord. I could tell he was a little surprised because he was quiet for a few seconds. Then I said, "Bet you haven't had anyone tell you that, huh?"

"No, I sure haven't!"

That opened the door and while he completed his paperwork I briefly discussed how I was reaching out to the lost by street witnessing every chance I got. Then he left the room to go grab some other things.

Then I couldn't believe what happened next.

When he returned he had another doctor with him that works in the office. The first thing he said when he came into the room was, "We want to hear more about your ministry."
I was so surprised!

I proceeded to tell both doctors how I shared my faith with others by taking them through the Law of God and then grace. Both doctors listened very intently, neither of them saying a word, but just nodding in agreement the whole time I was sharing with them.

Then, one of the doctors took my hand and thanked me for what I was doing and told me that he hoped he could help me so that I could continue doing what I was doing. He mentioned that was the reason he did what he did so that he could help others too.

I gave both doctors a Are you Good Enough to Go to Heaven and a Jump or Perish tract.

Then one of the doctors left and I continued to discuss a few more minutes with the other doctor about how people say they are Christians when they really aren't. He said his ex-wife is always calling telling about how she is going to church but that her lifestyle didn't show it. I briefly touched on how using the Law could bring her into the realization of her sin.

Always be prepared to bring up the Gospel of Christ! Non-believers and Christians alike are hungry for the word of God and learning how to do what the Lord commands us in Mark 16:15 "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation."

1 comment:

Lisa Smith said...

Awesome! Be encouraged. God gives us opportunities to share all the time, are we available? "Here am I Lord, send me."