J.C. Ryle

"When a man’s heart is cold and unconcerned about religion – when his hands are never employed in doing God’s work – when his feet are not familiar with God’s ways – when his tongue is seldom or never used in prayer and praise – when his eyes are blind to the beauty of the kingdom of heaven – when his mind is full of the world, and has no room for spiritual things – when these marks are to be found in a man the word of the Bible is the right word to use about him, and that word is, ‘Dead.’”

Thursday, February 1, 2007

Love Conquers All

"He who is in love is wise and is becoming wiser, sees newly every time he looks at the object beloved, drawing from it with his eyes and his mind those virtues which it possesses." (Ralph Waldo Emerson, 1841)

Ah, February. The month of Love.

I just watched the movie Pride & Prejudice, the classic love story based on the book by Jane Austen, for the first time a few weeks ago. I was particularly struck by the scene where Mr. Darcy first professes his love to Elizabeth Bennet.

"Miss Elizabeth, I have struggled in vain and I can bear it no longer. These past few months have been a torment. I came to Rosings for the single object of seeing you. I had to see you. I have fought against my better judgment, my family's expectation, the inferiority of your birth by rank and circumstance, all these things, but I am willing to put them aside and ask you to end my agony," Mr. Darcy stammered.

"I don't understand," said Elizabeth, most astonished.

"I love you. Most ardently. Please do me the honor of accepting my hand," said Mr. Darcy.

I know God loves me. But do I really know how deeply and passionately he is in love with me?

Sometimes I don't think my heart comprehends the depth of his great love. It can't get past how someone could love me so profusely that he would die for me -- for us. I think when God reminds you of the love he has for you that you fall in love with him over again. "I love you, O Lord, my strength." (Psalms 18:1) You set aside all inhibitions, all prenotins of what loving someone with your inner most being and soul really means. Your life and actions begin to reflect this love because it's growing deep inside you. You discover a renewed passion for others and you want them to know this love too.

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength." (Deuteronomy 6:5)

I cherish when my kids say out of the blue they love me. Parker especially seems to have a knack for saying it when I least expect it. It makes me feel tingly and squishy...and loved! I want my kids to know and feel this special love and, not just to see it, but to understand how much I love the Lord.

Of course, we all know how the story of Pride & Prejudice continues. Elizabeth rejects the proposal of Mr. Darcy and then is in agony until she finally realizes that she does return his love. She then accepts him whole heartedly and without further hesitation.

I know the Lord is heart broken when we reject his love. It is much easier to surrender to the one who's love is never-ending and never-changing. I don't want to reject his love. I want to feel it, live it and be wrapped in it. I am so glad that he loves me. His love is so simple, so true.

His love....life changing.

Real.

1 comment:

Lisa Smith said...

I simply must see this movie!