J.C. Ryle

"When a man’s heart is cold and unconcerned about religion – when his hands are never employed in doing God’s work – when his feet are not familiar with God’s ways – when his tongue is seldom or never used in prayer and praise – when his eyes are blind to the beauty of the kingdom of heaven – when his mind is full of the world, and has no room for spiritual things – when these marks are to be found in a man the word of the Bible is the right word to use about him, and that word is, ‘Dead.’”

Friday, April 27, 2007

Disconnected



This morning my internet wasn't working. I was annoyed. To me the internet is like a good book. You just can't put it down. An addiction that starves your brain from oxygen if you don't get your fix.

Without the internet my work goes undone.

I'm helpless. Disconnected from everything.

I tried to unplug a few things and plug it in again hoping to see the green light flicker. I impatiently waited for a sign, a signal that I was connected again. I tried three times.

It didn't work.

I tried really hard not to throw my cable modem across the room. That wouldn't solve anything. That would just make it worse.

Sigh. I was going to have to call customer service. I reluctantly called, muttering under my breath as I dialed that I didn't enjoy this nuisance. When the lady answered I blurted out indignantly that my internet wasn't working. "No problem, ma'am. Let me take a look at your account." Suddenly I remembered. They had called a few times last week saying that they had not received payment. I told them I sent the payment (I had). They said that they hadn't gotten it but would give it a few days to post.

"Did you get my payment yet?", I shrieked.

"No ma'am we did not. Your service has been disconnected."

"What, I sent payment! Why don't you have it?"

"We are having problems with our payments made online."

As calmly as I could I expressed that it sure would have been nice if they had bothered to tell me about the problem instead of just saying my bill was overdue. And that just disconnecting me without letting me know was very unfair! Then I would have avoided this hassle.

I would have been connected.

Sometimes it takes a disconnection to ruffle my feathers. To let me know that perhaps all is not well. I've heard the saying "Plug into Jesus and everything will be all right." It's not all right when there is a balance due and I haven't been paying the full price.

"But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear". (Isaiah 59:2)

He tells us in that verse that he will disconnect from us. He will disconnect! I sometimes plug into God but I don't confess and turn completely away from all sin. That is a frightening thing.

I am so thankful that I found out that I was disconnected. Thankful that he did throw me across the room. Thankful that he paid the full price for us when he suffered and died on the cross to forgive our iniquities. Thankful that we can repent, pay what we owe and get plugged in again.

"I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance." (Luke 5:32)

My internet is working again. I am connected.

Praise God!

(Editor's note: more to come on this subject!)

1 comment:

Lisa Smith said...

Totally enjoying your latests posts!