J.C. Ryle

"When a man’s heart is cold and unconcerned about religion – when his hands are never employed in doing God’s work – when his feet are not familiar with God’s ways – when his tongue is seldom or never used in prayer and praise – when his eyes are blind to the beauty of the kingdom of heaven – when his mind is full of the world, and has no room for spiritual things – when these marks are to be found in a man the word of the Bible is the right word to use about him, and that word is, ‘Dead.’”

Friday, November 2, 2007

Did You Get My Email?


I sense it a lot these days.

“Hey, girl I never hear from you.”

This is somebody’s nice way of saying, “Hey, you idiot pick up the phone and give me a call!” And, it’s ok because…..well they are probably right.

I swallow my pride and bite my tongue and don’t say, “And I don’t hear from you either,” because I know that it wouldn’t be true. Not entirely.

My blessing of a friend Michelle and I were discussing this subject the other day. With tears in our eyes we both acknowledged that we always think about calling….but we just didn’t. Because we had so much catching up to do that we would be on the phone all day. Not that I wouldn’t want to stay on the phone all day with my precious friend. But we know that wouldn’t be wise. We’d be stealing employers time, time with our kids or husbands, or plain unwinding time.

So what is my defense….hear me out. Truth be told I can be lazy. But I also know that my intentions are heartfelt and not out of sheer laziness. Why? Well, for me it’s because I’m a writer of sorts and admittedly not the best one but I try. Does it count that I can sit and write you a carefully thought out 30 minute email vs. a 5 minute phone call? It’s like a personal, hand-written letter sent by a super fast horse and carriage. This is one reason I started this blog…a futile attempt at keeping my family and friends up-to-date and involved. Even so, this small attempt at a hand pecked conversation has not developed into what I imagined in that regard at all. But still I’ve learned a lot about myself in the process.

Is there some sort of unspoken taboo about emails that I don’t know about?

Yes, I love technology. I can sit and write something with screaming kids in the background and no one is the wiser…can’t do that on a telephone. It sometimes can be easier to sit and really think about what I want to say before I open my big mouth and say something dumb and destructive. And, man have I done that! I should alertly bridle my tongue. Sometimes I just need to be quiet.

He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity (Proverbs 21:23).

The tongue is powerful.

It can hurt.

It can cause pain.

It can destroy.

But it can also bring truth.

Truth can sometimes hurt.

Better is open rebuke than hidden love (Proverbs 27:5). He who rebukes a man will in the end gain more favor than he who has a flattering tongue (Proverbs 28:23). A man who remains stiff-necked after many rebukes will suddenly be destroyed - without remedy (Proverbs 29:1). So watch yourselves. "If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him” (Luke 17:3). Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage - with great patience and careful instruction (2 Timothy 4:2).

Sometimes truth is not what I want to read or hear. Sometimes I just don’t want to believe what I read or hear. Sometimes, most times, that is wise.

But it’s not about whether or not I believe it…..it’s if whether or not it is true.

The Bible is truth. Some chose not to believe it. Some pick and chose what parts of it they want to believe. A few have rewritten it to suit themselves. But it doesn’t change the real truth. It is still a guide book. A spoken and written instruction book. The true and untarnished penmanship of God. It’s God’s phone call…his personal email…to us. Will we answer it? Will we delete the words of our Lord and Savior? Will we love His commandments or will we chose to destroy the message with unfruitful lip service?

Don’t get me wrong….I am not watering down the importance of personal, human contact and delightful conversation. I love it and need it. Most of the time there is no excuse not to have a face-to-face talk. The clicking of computer keys can not replace the sound of a friend from far or near. The gentle tone of a concerned or well-wishing friend is hard to get across in written text. I would much rather spend an hour at lunch with a friend than just sending emails back and forth for eternity. But sometimes something worth being said is just as good written as it is spoken. After all, it is still me doing the “talking”!

I wonder where we would be if we didn’t have the written word of the Bible to guide us. What if our eyes and ears had never seen or heard the carefully drafted personal letters written by men who were inspired by God. We’d be blubbering fools…making it up as we went along…drafting our own rules and dictating how we think it should be done. Sadly, some live like this…no written guide…no written law upon their hearts…choosing to toss aside the instructions and go at it themselves.

And I’ve unwisely been there.

So where is the line drawn…the perfect balance between the written and the spoken. I believe there is one. Know that I write with love to all who reads…deliberately constructed with affection and care.

So, don’t forget to check your email (or this blog!).

7 comments:

Lisa Smith said...

It was really good to hear your voice the other day. I get almost as excited when I get an email from you too!

I was talking with my friend Amy from Colorado the other day. She just called to say hi...a real first since we entered our "childbearing years". This was the first phone call that did not announce a pregnancy in almost ten years! A real change of seasons we reckoned.

But, isn't this how God speaks to us too (not the pregnancy part)? We always have the written word and if we spend enough time reading it, we begin to hear the spoken word. Fresh revelation, bringing light into what used to be darkness is just like a wonderful phone call from an old friend. "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him--but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God." 2Corinthians 2:9-11

Even with God's Word, written and spoken, we basically have no clue! We simply see a glance, a small bit, one step at a time. Imagine total darkness...not even getting a glimpse.

The sermon will continue another day. Love you!

Renee said...

Preach on sister!

Yes, and the key is "if we spend enough time reading it" then the verse which says "Faith comes from hearing and hearing by the word of God" will begin to actually make sense! That was one thing that I was not doing enough of in order to have that "conversation" with my precious Lord and Savior.

Salvation only comes to those who hear the gospel and respond in faith. And if that faith is in anything but the Lord then it is in vain. It means nothing -- it is that darkness.

And, a Christian does not come to faith by what they have seen but only but what they have heard. "Jesus did many other miraculous signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name." (John 20:30-31)

I am so grateful for the gospel message no matter what the method!

Thanks girl! That was inspiring!

Love to you.

Lisa Smith said...

I love Renee!

Unknown said...

Renee,
Thanks for sending me the e-mail about checking your Blog...we are not used to that so we don't (as of yet)rely on it as an update on how y'all are doing...we are "low tech" in that area. We love and look forward to emails with wonderful pictures and / or a call on the phone to say "how are you doing?"....they are our treasures. We love you, Janey and Dad

Anonymous said...

Hey Renee, it's Michelle's sis! I was looking on here for your trip to Gulf Shores and instead I got a truly precious gift from God through this post! We were just talking about this exact situation at bible study last night. We are studying "Power of a Praying Woman" by Stormie Omartian and she talked about giving God full control of our tongues and surrendering our speech to Him. This paragraph you wrote was EXACTLY what we talked about:

"It sometimes can be easier to sit and really think about what I want to say before I open my big mouth and say something dumb and destructive. And, man have I done that! I should alertly bridle my tongue. Sometimes I just need to be quiet.

He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity (Proverbs 21:23).

The tongue is powerful.

It can hurt.

It can cause pain.

It can destroy."

We read that the tongue is one of the smallest members of our body but can have the most damaging results if not used to the glory of God. It's been obvious too many times to name in my life that my tongue needs to be tamed! We talked about how our thoughts manifest themselves through our actions. What our heart truly believes will come out in our speech and our behavior. We are taught this all the time through our faith, but I think we need to hear it repeated again and again (or maybe it's just that I do!) God obviously wanted to repeat Himself through your comments on this! I'll say thank you Renee for posting this, but I think I'll say thank you to Him foremost! :)

Love your blog and enjoy reading it so much! Love, Amy

Renee said...

Amy, so great to hear from you! And you are so right. This post actually stemmed from two things that I did...and one of them was saying something really dumb that didn't help matters at all. Boy lesson learned. But, it's still the catch-22. Sometimes what needs to be said is construed as hurtful -- when it is actually quite the opposite -- but it still has to be said. This is the balance that I am learning! Thanks for reading! Love, Renee

Anonymous said...

Yes, sometimes the hardest part is choosing the right words to say! Sometimes we don't make the time to really think before the words are spewing out of our mouths! We just want to hit rewind and reword what we've spoken! I think that's where the lesson is learned-He is saying, "Yes, that, don't repeat it again!"

We decided to stay at the Lighthouse in Gulf Shores. I hear that it's a new condo building, so I'm hoping we chose a good one. Let me know of any fun places to go, things to see, places to eat. We are going for spring break this coming year. We're very excited and always look forward to spending some time at the beach!

Take care, keep letting Him speak through you! Love, Amy